Saturday, May 5, 2012

Peaceful, Summer Days

As I listen to Teren quietly play the piano I have an overwhelming sense of peace.  Today has been a good day.  This week was rough.  I adjusted to living alone, which, despite popular belief is not as nice as it seems.  In fact it's rather lonely.  But today has been wonderful.  The peace I feel may be due largely to the fact that I rode my bike a lot today.  I haven't exercised in a long time and my body is thanking me for the endorphins it has been deprived of for so long.  Something about the rushing cool air sweeping past my face on a bike ride gives a sense of calm.  Everything is going to be ok.  Or maybe the peace comes from spending the evening with a good group of friends.  Thanks to Jadyn I am now friends with most of the Arabic department and I spent the night laughing and being social.  I didn't realize how much I needed a good laugh.  I'm telling you, living alone is not fun... You can watch multiple seasons of How I Met Your Mother uninterrupted when alone, but the laughter from a sitcom isn't quite as fulfilling as laughter from watching three friends all try to ride your bike at the same time.  Believe it or not, Jordan, Teren, and James made some distance riding all together.  Dana, Kaitie and I fell behind and watched them wobble up the sidewalk.  The ride ended with a high pitched yelp as they started to lose balance, but maintained it in the end.  We jokingly teased Jordan because of that yelp to which she responded, "That was Teren!"  We then walked home together and again I felt that peace of summer, of life, of friendship, of laughter, of belonging.  What a good day...

No comments:

Post a Comment