Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Choices

I picked a major that is so broad I could do anything I want with it.  However, this has added more stress to my life.  I know I should be happy to have so many choices, but sometimes I wish there was only one option because then I wouldn't have to deal with the stress of choosing the wrong thing.  Then people tell me, "There is no wrong choice.  There's only right choices.  Just choose what is right for you."  Well there are a bajillion things that are right for me and I hate that in order to successfully move forward I have to pick one.  I watched the video below thinking it would help inspire me to make a decision on certain matters, but then it just reaffirmed the fact that too many choices is just too stressful. Maybe I didn't understand the point of the talk (this is very possible).

These are all the choices I have running through my mind right now:

  1. Field study: Channel Islands, India, or Thailand.  If I go to the Channel Islands I can study the culture that I love, but then I miss the opportunity to study a culture I do not know much about.
  2. If I go to the Channel Islands I would study linguistic anthropology, I think.  But if I study linguistics then it feels like my women's studies minor is going to waste.
  3. If I go to India or Thailand I can study women and their roles in society, but then I'm not studying British culture which is the culture I really love.
  4. If I go to India I could study Indian Sign Language and improve my signing skills.  But then I can't study women's roles which would be the whole reason I would go to India over the Channel Islands in the first place.
  5. Pursuing Anthropology in school means I will lose my ASL skills, unless I study Deaf Culture, but then I won't focus as much on women's studies or British culture.  So what do I focus on?  Pursuing one area means losing skill in another area, and I want skill and opportunities in all these areas.
This is so frustrating.  I have the opportunity of a lifetime, but I'm too stressed out to make a final decision because making one decision means losing everything else I care about.  I just don't know what to do.


1 comment:

  1. I know you will love, and be wonderful at whatever you choose. And I know that you will have to study whichever route you choose but couldn't you combine a few of them, just kind of in your "spare" time. For example, let's say you choose the channel islands route and you do study linguistics, but what if you did a bit of studying about women studies along with it? I don't know that that would even be possible, but I think you would be able to figure out.

    ReplyDelete