Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Boys don't like short hair...

So a friend of mine just got her hair cut short.  And I'm not talking short like my pixie.  I'm saying slightly above her shoulders.  I was sitting with her today and she was talking about how liberating it was to have shorter hair and how much she loved it.

"I love having short hair," she said.  "I should have done it a lot sooner.  The only thing that held me back was that my family said boys like girls with long hair.  When I cut my hair my family acted like there had been a death in the family."

"No way!" I responded.  "I was told boys don't like short hair too." 

When I decided to get a pixie cut girls would tell me all the time that they wished they were brave enough to cut their hair short, but that boys don't like short hair.  I even had boys tell me not to get my hair cut because "It just looks better long."  A month ago I was talking to my friend Billy, who just got home from a mission and hasn't seen me in two years.  I said, "How do you like my short hair?"  He responded, "I like it.  A lot of boys don't like girls with short hair.  I like it though."  

Naturally, I was scared.  I thought to myself, "Is this pixie going to scare off boys?  Will they all think I'm a radical feminist lesbian?"  But the truth of the matter is, my "magical" long hair wasn't attracting boys in the first place.  So I did what I wanted to do, and I cut my hair off.  People now tell me they can't imagine me any other way.  Short hair suits me, and man is it liberating.

So to all the girls out there that want to cut their hair short, but are afraid because boys won't like you, I say, do what YOU want.  Long hair isn't magical.  When it is cut, it falls to the ground like normal hair.  It doesn't float in the air and it doesn't cast magical love spells.  It's just hair and if you want it short then cut it.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I love your hair. When I met my husband in Portland, my hair was clipper short; like buzz cut. Aunt Allisa can vouch for this. That was probably my happiest hair time. I loved it, and I loved the way I looked. And I wasn't even bothered by the fact that my new boyfriend called me "monkey girl" because my ears stuck out. I say to all chicks-- cut it off if you wanna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I love how your experience is my exact thought process this summer before, during and after the chop. Love it and Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haahaha.. it doesn't float in the air. I love this. I love what you write about and how you write about it.

    ReplyDelete