Wednesday, May 1, 2013

White Trash

When you live with college roommates you grow accustomed to certain roommates completing specific chores over and over. There's no written rule.  You just know one person will take care of the chore so you don't do it yourself.  It's not a good habit to get into, but it happens nonetheless.  Well, my chore is putting out the trash each week, and when I forget to drag the big trashcans out to the curb our trash starts piling up. Well it's been a stressful few weeks.  Last Tuesday I pulled an all-nighter on campus so I wasn't home.  The Tuesday before I just forgot, and I don't even know what happened the week before that.  Point is, we had three or four weeks worth of trash piling up in our shed.  The single trashcan was filled to the brim so we had to pile the new trash around it, which made a barrier large enough to protect the student's of the revolution in Les Miserables.

Last night I reminded myself that I had to take out the trash, no exceptions.  My roommates and I sat around watching Salt when I started to get fidgety and decided to do my chore.  I needed some shoes and my high heels were the only ones upstairs that were easy to slip on.  I looked rather classy as I headed out to the trashcans to get my hands dirty.  But what faced me was a pile of trash too large to manage on my own.  I went back inside and gathered my troops for battle.

"Comrades!  We need to divide and conquer!  Here's the strategy.  We don't have enough room in our own trashcan for all the trash, and that trash needs to be taken away this week.  So each person is going to take a bag and put it in a different neighbor's trashcan.  Ready?  Go!"

I headed out, dragging my roommates slowly behind me.  Before I knew it we were in various places along 8th East utilizing the empty trashcans in the road.  The neighbors are much more consistent with their weekly trash duty, so it didn't take long for us to return home safe after battle.  I felt like a victorious soldier with brilliant tactics and solid execution.  Jordan, on the other hand, turned to me and said, "I feel like white trash."  I pictured us sneaking across the dark street to drop our trash into stranger's trash bins.

Yeah... white trash is probably the more appropriate description.

2 comments:

  1. I literally laughed out loud when I got to the part about the high heels!
    My unwritten chores is unloading the dishwasher and my roommate's is taking out the trash.....Confession: sometimes we just use the clean dishes straight from the dishwasher until it's empty again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Liz you are so funny. I had to read it to my roommates I loved it so much. They also loved it. I wish I could have seen this happening.

    ReplyDelete